Expert guide to bed linens
We spend about a third of our lives in bed, so it is worth investing some time and money to make it as comfortable as possible. Here is our expert guide to bed linen
What does thread count (TC) actually refer to?
It is the number of yarns packed into a square inch of fabric. A high-quality basic is 200TC made from single-ply Egyptian cotton. This combination provides a good standard of durability and softness. You can also have sheets that are 400, 800 1,000TC and 1200TC.
Does a higher thread count always mean better quality?
Not necessarily. In some cases you’ll want a relatively low thread count, such as with flannelette sheets, which are more loosely woven to produce the desired softness. The type of thread used would become too stiff if woven very tightly
Type of Weave and fiber?
You also need to think about the weave. An Oxford weave is a bit like basket weave (and often used for making high-quality men’s shirts) while percale has had the shorter, rougher fibers combed out to make it smooth and crisp. Sateen (not to be mistaken for satin) has a slightly lustrous finish as it is woven from finer threads; it is typically 300TC or higher and can be slightly less hard-wearing than percale. Jacquard is woven to create a matt and sateen self-pattern on the fabric and feels soft like sateen rather than crisp like percale. Flannelette is made from spun yarn brushed on both sides after weaving, creating texture and holding in warmth. ‘A lot of people use a flannelette sheet as a mattress protector under their cotton fitted sheet so they have the feel of the crisp cotton against the skin,
What about silk?
Being a natural fiber, it is cool in summer, warm in winter, naturally hypo-allergenic and incredibly smooth and comfortable to sleep in.
Pillowcase – housewife or Oxford?
A housewife pillowcase is an edge-to-edge pillowcase that fits to the contours of your pillow. It’s usually the one you sleep on and the most popular style for children. An Oxford pillowcase has an extra border beyond the seamed edge. If layering pillows, we suggest you use a housewife pillowcase underneath, but it’s down to personal preference.
Sizes for sheets and Duvet Cover?
- Single flat sheet Size – 180 x 255cm
- Super King bed Flat Sheet Size- 285 x 260cm
- King Flat Sheet Size – 255 x 274cm
- Queen Flat Sheet Size- 240 x 274cm
- Double Flat Sheet Size- 228 x 254cm
- King Single Flat Sheet Size- 180 x 274cm
- Single Flitted Sheet Size 91 x 193 x 40cm
- Super King Bed Flitted Sheet Size 180 x 203 x 50cm
- King Flitted Sheet Size 180 x 203 x 40cm
- Queen Flitted Sheet Size 152 x 203 x 40cm
- Double Flitted Sheet Size 137 x 193 x 40cm
- King Single Flitted Sheet Size 107 x 203 x 40cm
- Deep fitted sheets are for mattresses up to extra depth of 40cm.
- King Quilt Cover size:245 x 210 cm
- Queen Quilt Cover size:210 x 210 cm
- Double Quilt Cover size:180 x 210 cm
- Single Quilt Cover size:140 x 210 cm